February 11-12, 2020
Sheraton Arlington • Arlington, TX
Join us in Arlington, Texas for SMA’s 12th Annual Mid-Year Conference, “Succeeding in Challenging Times.” This is a unique educational opportunity for meat/food industry executives and managers at all levels, featuring leading experts on a wide range of topics. The combination of excellent speakers and audience interaction will cover many issues that affect your business. This conference has become a “must attend” for many industry leaders and one that you cannot afford to miss. In addition to the excellent speaker program, the conference features a Suppliers’ Reception, offering a fun and relaxing opportunity to network with your industry colleagues.
February 11 – Tuesday
1:00 PM to 5:00 PM – General Session
- FSIS Administrator Update – Carmen Rottenberg, Administrator, USDA/FSIS
- Industry Collaboration on Foreign Material, Recalls & Other Regulatory Issues – John Dillard, OFW Law
- Global Trade and Its Impact on U.S. Processors – Dan Halstrom, U.S. Meat Export Federation
- Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Standards: Do They Impact Me? – Steve Bellew, U.S. Department of Homeland Security/CSIS
- Transportation Issues Facing Processors – Speaker TBA
- Revising Appendix A & B: Status Update – Katie Rose McCullough, NAMI
- What SMA is Doing for You?- Joe Harris, SMA
5:00 PM to 7:00 PM – Suppliers’ Reception
February 12 – Wednesday
8:00 AM to 12:00 PM – Risk Management Workshop
Making Risk Management Work For You – presented by IBTX Risk Services
- Active Shooter Awareness – Byron Piechowski
- Growing and Developing Your Workforce – J’Mella Hinkston
- OSHA is Here, Now What? – Pedro Mercado & Byron Piechowski
- Taking Your Risk Management from Average to Exceptional: An Open Panel Discussion – Moderator: Stephanie Sears; Panelists: Byron Piechowski, Pedro Mercado, Lisa Hahn, and J’Mella Hinkston
Reservations should be made directly with the Sheraton Arlington by calling 800-442-7275 or book online here. Ask for the Southwest Meat Association room block to receive the special room rate of $149 per night. Reserve your room early, as the deadline for reservations is 1/17/20. The hotel is located at 1500 Convention Center Drive, Arlington, TX 76011. Directions to the hotel and more information are available on the hotel website at http://www.sheratonarlingtonhotel.com/.
Air Travel and Transportation
The Sheraton Arlington is convenient to DFW airport and offers a complimentary shuttle for hotel guests, 6:30 AM – 9:30 PM; 7 days a week, with advance notice. Major car rental agencies and taxis are also available for transportation to the hotel.
Attire is business casual.
On Site Registration Hours*
- Tuesday 12:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Wednesday 7:30 a.m. – 8:30 a.m.
*On site registrations will incur a $50 late fee
Requests received by 1/17/20 will be fully refunded. Requests received on 1/18/20 or later will be refunded 50% of registration fee. Refunds will not be issued after 1/31/20.